Help Wanted - Apply Within @ 09:12 am
Current Location: Studio II
Current Mood: busy
Current Music: "It Is Not Meant to Be" - Tame Impala
posted by John
I'm passing along a call for volunteers - a couple of volunteers, to be specific - from Dork Tower webmistress Cat.
While this gig (helping out an obscure cartoonist, and his sucky, sucky website that we're trying to make, you know, "cool") is non-paying, you know we'll pull together an EXCEPTIONALLY cool swag pile for whomever helps out.
Anyway: Cat's note:
Dear Dork Tower readers,
As most of you know, we have been having some troubles with our server. And unfortunately, some of those troubles have included "missing" comic images in our archives (as well as a really bad archives widget). I won't go into the reasons for WHY we have been having the troubles - let's just say that we've been trying to fix them and have been frustrated and leave it at that.
We're working very hard (you should the hamsters on their wheels powering our generators - they could take Usain Bolt in a hundred meters EASY, by now).
However, I, the poor, overworked web-slave.....ah....web mistress, am trying to fix the problems.
One of the ways we're going to make the site better is to move to a Wordpress theme (which should really be called an extension) called ComicPress. You may have seen this theme in action on places like the wonderful PvP - and I'm sure you know that it is a LOT easier to nvigate for all of you -- and much easier to work with for us!
But we need a volunteer or two. We have THOUSANDS of comics that we have to rename (because ComicPress has a specific naming system), and we CAN'T use a batch file renamer.
We need a volunteer/some volunteers to be willing to rename these comics according to instructions.
If you're willing, these are the qualifications you need to have:
1) Even if you aren't a "techy" per se, you NEED to know how to read HTML. You will have to look at the source code to find which image goes with which post.
2) You need to be "nit-picky" (some of the missing comics are missing because of case sensitivity issues - and you may need to search for the right comic in order to rename it).
3) You need to be creative with words. Some comics don't have titles - and when we weren't having to do something like this, we didn't bother to fix the titles (one of the previous renditions of the website had gotten hacked, and deleted almost all of the old titles). So, you are going to need to come up with a short, pithy title (which, of course, will have to be approved). Adding appropriate Tag words to make searches easier is a big plus.
4) You need to be deadline conscious (we would like to get this transition done SOON - we don't want things to be bad for you guys any longer than necessary.)
5) You need to follow instructions to the letter. ComicPress is very specific about file naming conventions, and it MUST be followed.
If you've got these skills/characteristics - DorkTower wants YOU! Please use our feedback form to volunteer for this position!
So there you have it. If you have the time, the skill and the inclination, we'd love to hear from you. There are big plans afoot, and some incredibly cool swag to boot. And my eternal gratitude. And maybe more. Let's talk.
If you're interested, please contact Cat Wagner at Cat Dot Wagner At Gmail. Dot Com, or simply fill out the feedback form and specify Cat as the recipient. (And yes, the "You need to follow instructions to the letter" bit WILL be tested here. E-mails to me (John) will be scowled upon, before forwarding them to Cat.
A thousand thanks to whomever the victims...er...um...LUCKY VOLUNTEERS turns out to be!
Yer bestest pal forever,